A Retiree’s Checklist for Reviewing your 2022 Tax Return
The 2022 Tax Return deadline is right around the corner. If you are newly retired, it is a good idea to
consider meeting with your financial advisor to discuss and review your 2022 tax return.
We can work together with you to identify and address issues before next year and to adjust your
returns if necessary.
A few highlight points to consider before our meeting include the following:
- Advantages/disadvantages of joint or separate filing (if married).
- If newly divorced or widowed, there are specific filing steps.
- Investment income for the prior year- there are reporting issues that need to be addressed in connection with your income.
- If you owned tax-advantaged accounts during the prior tax year: there may be some reporting issues to consider, especially if you took any distributions from these accounts.
- Did you take the full amount of your RMD from your retirement plan?
- Do you do a rollover to an IRA?
- Were any distributions taken from an IRA?
- Have you had a high level of medical expenses?
- Are there state-specific issues that need to be considered?
These are some of the types of issues from a comprehensive checklist that we are ready to discuss with you when we assist you in reviewing your 2022 tax return. Make your appointment today.
For a comprehensive review of your personal situation, always consult with a tax or legal advisor. Neither Cetera Advisors LLC nor any of its representatives may give legal or tax advice.